Seven women began a journey in 2 different locations. Two flew to Dublin, one dropped out, Paul took her place and he and I jetted off to Italy's Cinque Terre.


Staying in Vernazza we planned to hike the trails between all 5 towns, but being off season only the trail between Manorola and Riomaggiore were open. Hopping trains allowed us to explore the rest of the Cinque Terre and mingle with the locals. I definitely need more time here on another trip.






Although the Dublin and Cinque Terre groups arrived in Pisa on the same day, we missed each other at the train station by 1/2 hour. Without cell phones to make contact we followed a detailed itinerary and continued on to Florence. After checking in to the hotel Paul and I walked out at the same time the Dublin group exited a taxi at the entrance. Finally we met up to continue the adventure through Italy's Hill-towns together. In Rome we added 2 more travelers.



 Tied with Assisi for my favorite Italian town. I could live,.....or, have a summer house here for sure.

Get a feel of walking the cobblestone alleys in the heart of Assisi.




I fell in love with Assisi - one of the Hill-towns between Florence and Rome. It's romantic aura was particularly appealing to me. I spent a morning walking through the town on my own and ended up in St. Frances Cathedral by myself - no other tourists - only a guard and a monk at a booth near the entrance. As I walked through the Cathedral I glanced at some pamphlets for sale in many different languages. I slowly walked through the Cathedral admiring the intricacy in the frescos on the ceiling and walls. As I stood at the far end I heard footsteps and turned around to see the guard making his way toward me with something in his hand. He approached me and handed me a pamphlet in English and said the monk wanted me to have it. My heart felt touched by the gesture because there could be nothing more fitting of the place I was in. A Cathedral in memory of a man who shunned materialism and led a humble life of service. To give being better than to receive. I'll always remember the feeling I had and experience of St. Frances's Cathedral. (Lavon)